Brown Sugar Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar + more to dress
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment on the lowest speed (or by hand with a whisk in a bowl), add sugar, butter, egg, vanilla extract, milk, and molasses, and whisk well to combine. The mixture should be slightly gritty but with no obvious clumps or streaks.
- With the stand mixer still running, add baking soda and baking powder.
- At this point, heat your oven to 375 F and grease a baking tray.
- Gradually mix in 2 3/4 cups flour until fully combined. When mixed, the dough should be very soft and slightly crumbly.
- Separate dough into 30 gram balls (a little smaller than a ping-pong ball) and then place them in a shallow dish of granulated sugar. Press down evenly to make a puck, and line up on the greased sheet tray in rows of 3-2-3-2-3.
- Bake at 375 F for 11 minutes. Cookies will fluff during baking before melting down and turning a deeply golden-brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool 3-5 minutes. Cooling is faster on a wire rack.